Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fishing weekend with the girlfriend (part 1)

Before I start... Fishing season is well under way... and I don't have a good enough memory to post all my previous trips. Overall, the season has been great so far with PLENTY of quality largemouth caught but no 5 pounders yet and very few smallies until THIS PAST WEEKEND.
------------------------------------------
July 26th, 2008

Caro decided she was fishing with me this weekend and I didn't complain!! Who can say they have a girlfriend who loves to fish... Not only is she in charge of the food and drinks.. THE LADY CAN CATCH BIG BASS! She's a serious contender to be my partner if I ever want to fish one of the bass trails eventually.

We started the day pretty late on a local lake for smallmouth hoping to fish the afternoon and the evening. I'm still a bit lost on this body of water but apparently I can still find fish. Water temperature was 73 in most places and believe it or not bass you can still find bass in the shallow. The water is stained from all the rain and wind we got recently but we were still able to hook up a few fish on tube jigs. I boated the first 4lbs+ of the year..... It gave me a hell of a fight and Caro netted the fish like a pro! We had SW winds of 20 km/h with even higher gusts reaching at least 40.... add rain to the mix and I decided to call it a day after only 3-4 hours. If I hadn't forgotten my rain coat we would've probably stayed a bit longer... If it wasn't for me Caro would've stayed till sunset! Overall not a lot of fish were caught and a few were lost but keep in mind those are all new spots i'm trying. Back on the water tomorrow!