Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fishing weekend with the girlfriend (Part 2)

July 27th, 2008

We were on the water a bit earlier today hoping to catch some giant smallmouth again. Caro promised she would get the lunker today after seeing my battle with the 4lbs yesterday and guess what... she was RIGHT! We decided to start in the same area as yesterday hoping the fish didn't go very far. We had just about the same weather with more wind but less rain... again from the SW. Seeing as we had a good chop on the water I decided to see if they would hit a spinnerbait so I showed Caro how to work it but apparently the fish weren't as active as I had predicted so she was back with the tube. It ended up being the right choice because in no time she was going head to head with what was going to be the biggest smallmouth of her life! An honest 5lbs+ bronzeback! The fish gave her one hell of a battle..... at one point I thought we were going to lose it when I saw it swim right under the boat... SHE WASN'T READY YET! After a few jumps we managed to get the fish in the boat and that's when I realized that we had caught the first 5lbs smallmouth of the year! We continued to fish the same area and lost a few decent fish and caught a few other small ones but nothing spectacular... it didn't matter... we had a 5lbs!