Monday, September 8, 2008

Largemouth Fishing Vacation!

September 3-6, 2008

My girlfriend and I rented a cottage up north on a lake I've been fishing for the past 5-6 years. The largemouth fishing there is just ridiculous... Several 5lbs+ were caught over the years and the amount of fish we catch every year is just phenomenal.

It didn't take long before Caro caught her first largemouth. What's fun about this place is that you can really improve you hook set with the amount of hits you get in a day... Bite after bite Caro was improving her hook sets and the way she was casting and working her lure. She caught about 4-5 bass the first day, 7-8 on the 2nd day and over 20 on the third day. Her hook sets are now so impressive I couldn't believe it! Both hands on the rods and she uses her whole weight to set the hook. Just like a pro! Let's just say she decided to be more careful after losing a near 5lbs bass at the boat! She got her revenge with a 19", 4lbs+ largemouth the next day! She got the fish away from a sunken tree just in time before it could wrap her line in the branches. I can't tell you how happy I am when someones catches a lunker in my boat... That bass gave her a fight she'll remember for the rest of her life!

I always like to "guesstimate" the weight of a 5 fish bag when I go fishing. That way it gives me a good idea of how good the day went and it's also the same way in real tournaments. For those who care, we had a 17lbs bag the first day, 18lbs the 2nd day and probably very close to 19lbs on our 3rd day. We caught well over 130 laremouths in 3.5 days and 1 smallmouth! The owner of the outfitter has a little contest going on so I registered Caro and her 19". I know the biggest fish caught there was 22"... her chances to win are slim to none but the owner insisted. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the 5lbs I've been looking for this year but many 3's and 4's were caught. I will post pictures of the trip soon!