Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fall Feeding FRENZY!!!

October 19th, 2008

I was on the water today with my brother Raph and his friend Paul. Water temperature on this body of water has finally reached 55ish and I think it's the magic number because the smallies were completely nuts. We had very little wind and it gave me the chance to see my fishing spots a lot better then usual. The water was clear for this area.. usually it's never this clear. I saw things I didn't even know where there before.. It took about 3 casts for my brother to hook is first smallmouth and maybe 5 more for his second one... I really don't know what happened but the bass were feeding HEAVILY. We could seem them chase bait fish right in front of us sometimes even jumping out of the water. I was casting a jerkbait and I had a bass following it to the boat 9 cast out of 10. It was almost like we were fishing for starving pikes... I've seen pikes follow lures like that but never smallmouth bass. It's almost like they didn't care about the boat or us... Looking back at things I should've tried more lures seeing as they were biting almost everything. Today was by far the most productive day I've had fishing for smallmouths. A few times we no only had 2 fish at the same time but even 3! I can't wait to see if it's going to be this good next weekend. Overall we caught close to 40 smallmouth if not more and we missed quite a few as well. Most were in the 2 - 2.5lbs range with the biggest ones being close to 4lbs.