Thursday, October 23, 2008

New fishing spots!

October 18th, 2008

I was fishing with my Caro and my dad today and we were looking for new fishing spots for future tournaments on a local lake near my house. With the new boat I can now try areas of the lake that seemed way to far before... Water temperature was about 57-58 and we had almost no wind. We started casting tubes, worms and jerkbaits but go no bites. We found a few promising rock piles and I made sure to mark them on GPS. I'm sure I'll find fish there in the future... it has all the ingredients for a great smallmouth habitat! We tried a few areas nearby but couldn't hook a fish so we finally decided to try a known good spot to at least hook one bass. It didn't take long before we hooked our first fish but it was pretty small... I had a good strike from what seemed to be a good sized smallie but she never made it to the boat... We caught a few more bass but nothing big so we decided to try another area closer to the boat launch. When we got there we saw a few roaming smallies in about 2-3 feet of water but as soon as they saw us they were gone.... I marked that one on the GPS as well!!! I'll get them next time! Overall it wasn't the best day but at least I got to find new spots.