Wednesday, July 15, 2009

St-Francis Practice

July 5th, 2009

Even with today's wind my girlfriend really wanted to go fishing (yes I know.. I have the best girlfriend in the world!!). I figured we could go practice for my next tournament on Francis. I did the mistake of trying a spot I knew had fish... but I just wanted to catch a decent smallmouth!! I actually missed one on my first cast and it felt heavy!! On my second cast I caught a perfect eating size walleye which ended up in my livewell! We drifted a bit over a spot in about 15-20 feet of water and I hooked a 4lbs+ smallie but the line broke at the boat... It was too bad because she was about 3 inches away from going in the net... I lost another fish that felt like a 3lbs+ smallmouth not long after that and I hooked another walleye... We had never caught walleye in this area so I was surprise to catch 2 in the same hour...

We left that spot to go try for some largemouth nearby and Caro missed a nice one with the frog... She tried setting the hook way to early but she was fishing the frog for the first time... I told her to either wait for the frog to dissapear or simply count to 3 before setting the hook... You should've seen her face when the bass jumped on the frog.. She got scared and screamed as if she was being attacked!! haha! I think it got her hooked on topwater fishing.. She might give a break to her favorite yamamoto bait afterall.

I'm a bit dissapointed that we didn't try more new spots... We tried maybe 2 new spots and spent the rest of the day fishing areas that I knew had fish... From now on I will try to maximize my practice time so I can find new spots.

All in all it was a fun day on the water... We missed a lot of good fish but at least I know where i'll be fishing for my tournament in 2 weeks. I should practice again next weekend and i'll make sure to try completely new areas.. At least we have some nice walleye for diner!