Tuesday, June 21, 2011

1 down - 3 to go!

June 18th, 2011

I was fishing with Caro today for our first Econobass tournament of the season. With the water being much higher then last year, I decided to take a gamble and make a bit of a run in the morning to an area where I was very confident we could get at least 3 good fish. Caro was quick to put a limit in the boat but it was a very small one with 5 fish in the 1-2lbs range. We were getting short bites and the water was so stained that we couldn't be sure they were bass and had planned to spend 2 hours max. I missed what looked like a heavy 3lbs smallmouth before we left for some more popular areas of the lake.... Something I should've done from the start, like I had originally planned. Tournament fishing is all about making decisions and that was a bad one..... Live and learn!

We still managed to cull many times with smallies and largies in the afternoon but we had to change one more fish to be have a chance at a top 10. We finished in 20th place out of 54 teams with a total weight of 13.35lbs... only 3lbs away from a top 5. Caro caught all her fish on her usual yamamoto secret weapon and mine came off a jig and a pig and a wacky rigged dumz sticks. I had the opportunity to test my new Demone batteries today with the strong wind and I have to say I am very impressed. I have not been fishing any big current but I have yet to see a diminution of power in a full day of fishing with them so far.