Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Beat the storm!

July 3rd, 2009

I was fishing with my friend Jack today for smallmouth on a local lake and a big storm was chasing us around... We were able to find a few fish in areas of the lake I had never been before. In fact, I think I found a GREAT spot for smallmouth... I can't wait to try this spot again. I am convinced it holds plenty of quality smallies. Jack was fishing a berkley grub on a drop shot and he was hammering them!! I am getting more and more confidence in the drop shot but I had never thought of fishing it with a grub... Seeing as he was getting so many smallies in the boat I will definitely give it a shot on my next trip. We finally ended up having to face the storm but it was more rain and wind then anything else.... It only lasted for about 15 minutes but it rained so much the bilge pump actually came on!! I caught a good 18 incher and Jack took a picture of it but we think the rain killed his camera so I don't know if we'll ever see this picture..

The ride back was a bit rough since I couldn't hit the waves properly and they were at least 4 footers... We tried another spot before calling it a day where Jack had caught some good 3 and 4 pounders but only caught some small ones. We got hit by heavy rain again on the way back to the launch and we were sooked by the time we got in the car...

It was a good day on the lake but I could've done it without the rain today... Next stop is my first trail tournament for Econ-O-Bass.. I hope we'll do better then what we did in practice!