Monday, August 25, 2008

Deep water Smallies - Part 2

August 23rd, 2008

I was fishing with Dave today for some smallmouth action on one of my favorite lakes. We had a very light SW wind and water temp were surprisingly warmer then usual for this lake. We started in the morning by casting moving baits around an island hoping to catch some early active smallmouth but ended up catching a 2lbs largemouth instead. We decided to try another area where my friend had seen giant smallmouth before and it paid off right away. We got a few hit on the frogs but didn't hook one (those damn frogs.. ). We moved just a bit and fished close to a river and we saw SO MANY smallmouths I thought I was hallucinating.... Small ones and huge ones all together on a sand bank in about 15-20 feet of water. We drifted over them with tubes and gobees but we were only catching small ones of about 2-2.5lbs. We were catching most of our fish in 20 to 40 feet of water. I am taking my uncle fishing next week and we'll definitely be trying this spot again but I'll rig a few drop shot rods this time and try to tempt those finicky smallies!