Friday, July 23, 2010

Fun fishing on Francis!

July 18th, 2010

Caro and I decided to fish for fun today and went to our favorite lake for some smallmouth action! We slept a little longer then usual and slowly made our way to Lake St-Francis. We mostly tried areas that I knew already just to see if the fish were there and they were! Having fished this lake a lot last fall, it didn't take me long to realize that things were very different in the summer. Water level is a little lower but most importantly the vegetation is in full bloom... The shallow bite was hard with all the weeds so we decided to move deeper. On my first cast I hooked (and missed) a BIG smallie that came unpinned in mid-air. I guess I forgot how strong these "river" smallies were! We continued drifting in 20 - 32ft of water and hooked a 3lbs+ smallies almost every 2-3 mins. No giants were caught but plenty of quality fish were boated and the biggest ones were missed...

I can't wait to go back to this lake... so many different things to fish and so many different ways to fish them... Did I mention this was my favorite lake? ;)